Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What I Stand For and What I Just Can't Stand


As of late I have been working on a project to make access more accessible. It is somewhat of a de-handicapping. To explain this I first have to explain what I do for a living. To explain this I must first explain this chair.
This chair is very old, so old in fact it has a seat that is noticably closer to the floor than its contemporaries. It supports the population of people I work for. They have some great stories. The population is of course the eXtremely aged. They are both cool and hip so I have worked a number of years for them.
I get to hear stories that even the children and grand children haven't. There are three reasons for this truthfulness in the face of a stranger.
1) The amount of time young people spend interacting with the geriatric community.
2) The nature of the relationship a grandparent is expected to have with their children.
3) Young people sometimes don't feel comfortable out of their social context.
Hopefully this project will work to capture video of old people talking about their lives candidly. The idea is to have people sit down and have a marvelous time talking about their human experiance. The programs that result will be for public access should the person choose to make it so. This will give the aged free speech within familys over time and over the airwaves. It will make the hubris of the hindsighted a thing of the past. No more regretting that we did not catch Uncle Hodjins on video telling us that story about the young man he cared for during the war. We will be able to see the delighted look on ma's face as she reminisces about what her and her sisters used to do for fun.
The second phase of this is to involve youths in the area in the interviewing process. They will learn to use the equiptment then learn how to make a good documentary film. The real skills they learn pertain to interactions with people from a different generation. Once they have this mastered they will learn to listen and hear the messages these people have to send an avid listener.
It is just a small project that I am trying to make sustainable. This is more of a creative expression than a business proposal. The goals I have are finite and should take only a year or two at the most. I want to do one video for each resident in the facility I work for, then I will start outreaching to the community. I will seek to network with community access and various neighborhood organizations. Preference will be given to organizations that involve parents in projects. Oppertunities for supervised kids will be made too. The residents of my facility will each get a DVD and streamable copy for their use. They will also be given the option to air the movie they made on public access.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home